So I just got back from the doctor and have some new updates to share. But, first and foremost Henry is a healthy boy and still in the head down position. But, here's the catch....he is measuring to be about a 9 1/2 lb baby! You don't even want to know what words were flying through my head when I heard those numbers....yikes! The doc was able to get this estimate of weight by doing an ultrasound. It was great to get a last glimpse of him and see just how big he has gotten. This ultrasound was very different than ones before as you don't get to see one big picture of the entire baby. Rather you only see whatever body part is right below the wand (for example, the head or abdominen area, legs, etc.).
Based on his size and my due date we are looking at getting induced as early as Friday if he doesn't come before then. I am now dilated to 4+. The doc will be calling me this afternoon to see what appointments are open for Friday - Monday to be scheduled to get induced at the hospital. Since this is an "elective" inducement and not a medical emergency I would be the first patient to get bumped if necessary. So, even if I get put on the books for Friday I could very well be bumped if the birth center becomes really busy. I basically need a room, a nurse, and less than 3 inductions for my doc to be admitted. The reason we are looking to get induced is because I really want to try to avoid a c-section as much as possible. With him being so big I have about a 30% chance of having to go into a c-section anyway. But, we want to first try for a vaginal birth and then make the game time decision of whether a c-section is necessary. The doc thinks I have a really good chance of having a vaginal birth just fine based on my size and width of my pelvic bone. So, I am still very optimistic that this will all go smoothly but also know c-sections happen all the time and are absolutely safe to do.
Lastly, I know many of you have been following my decision to try to have a drug free birth. Well, based on the facts we got today that has gone out the window pretty darn fast! If I get induced I will have to have a drug called Pitocin, which basically takes you from 0 - 100mph in less than 2 hours for contractions. Not something you want to necessarily try without an epidural to help with the pain. Pitocin doesn't always do the trick either. But, usually when this doesn't work it's because the woman is not dilating. Since I am already dilated to 4+ we are looking pretty darn good.
Anyway, I will know more this evening. But, it is pretty safe to say that Henry will be here no later than early next week. Our anniversary is on Tuesday so we are really hoping we get to have him before then. But, I guess we can share our big day with the little guy...he's so worth it!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Sounds like you've got a big and healthy baby boy on the way! I can only imagine how anxious you are to meet little Henry.
Oh wow! So exciting to know he will be here soon! You will do great! I will be thinking about you all weekend! Congrats to the new Mommy & Daddy to be! :)
Wow, what a big boy! All very exciting isn't it? Thank you for sharing about all the ins and outs to do with child birth and the process leading up to it, it's been a really valuable learning experience for me. Again, good luck!
Misty, we are so excited for you! Congrats on the new baby. Take lots of time to rest. I'm very glad you were able to avoid a C-section. I'm looking forward to seeing Henry's cute little face! God bless!
Post a Comment