Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Growing Up

It's been awhile since I gave a really good update on Henry so here it goes. He is changing so much everyday and I am finding it harder and harder to have time to get on the computer as he is way more active and doesn't seem to need as many naps as before. So I will try to keep this short and sweet as there is so much to tell and not a lot of time to tell it!

He still has only 2 teeth (the bottom middle), but I can see several other white buds coming closer and closer to the surface. He is really pulling at his ear lately and is a bit more wakeful so I know they are bothering him a bit. However, I would say it's not too bad yet. Sleep is still an area we are working on. He is great at naps during the day in his own bed and goes down easily at night in his own bed but half way through the night around 2am usually he wakes up screaming and is not easy to soothe so he ends up in bed with me. Not ideal but this is how we get sleep around here. His new sound this past week is "baa baa" He loves his voice and is constantly chatting our ears off. Both mommy and daddy are trying to turn that "baa baa" into a "mama" or "dada"...pressures on! ;o) His hair keeps getting longer and longer but his growing straight up, so funny. He loves to clap and sometimes will wave goodbye..not sure if he knows what he is doing or just imitating me. He finally figured out how to roll from his belly to his back so he is not getting stuck in the middle of the night due to that and I don't worry about him sleeping on his belly as much. About a month ago he started scooting around on his belly backwards. And now he is great at getting on all fours and likes to crawl backwards. He also goes from sitting to all fours and back to sitting, which takes him around the room. So he has figured out a few ways to get where he wants to go but still hasn't mastered the movement forward yet. Last Friday he had his first big tumble and just about gave mom a heart attack. I had my head turned eating some breakfast while he was at his spot on the floor playing with toys and the next thing I heard was a big bang. He was trying to crawl over the pillow I put to help ease a tumble backwards and went head first into the hardwoods. He was fine after a few minutes of loves from mom but was left with a black and blue bump on his forehead. However, he went right back after it a few minutes later. He is very determined to figure out how to crawl. Our entire house is hardwood and I don't have an area rug in the living room, which is where we spend most of our time, and he has a hard time getting his legs under him due to the floor being so slippery. So we have been spending more time in his room which has a rug and he is so close to crawling on that surface (some pics below). We just ordered a folding tumbling mat from ebay that should get here this week for the living room. I am really excited to have a softer surface for him to play on. Last week I also caught him pulling himself to a stand in his crib. I just lowered his crib a couple weeks ago to the middle setting and wish I would have just put it all the way down as I have to get that done this week before he climbs out! I now find him sitting up, on all fours or trying to do a baby pull up on the side every time I go in to get him. Really funny and amazing how strong those little arms are. We also started our first PEPS Group (Program for Early Parent Support) yesterday and will meet for the next 11 weeks. He is the oldest in the class but really didn't mind as he was scooting his way over to all the other babies to check them out. He is such a social kid and I am so looking forward to getting to know these other parents and learn from each of them. The class is all boys except 2 girls which is a change for him as he is used to being surrounded by gorgeous little girls! And, lastly is how Henry has been taking to mama's homemade baby food. I will say the first couple times was not good. He started dry heaving when he had my carrots, spit out his green beans and peas and did not like avocado by itself. So I made them a bit more runny and put his carrots in with his yogurt a couple times and now he eats them all by themselves and loves them. I put his peas in with a mashed banana and he loved them that way. Now I just warm up the peas, sometimes add a splash of formula and he takes it all down happy as can be. The avocado I mash with a banana for breakfast or just add some formula so it's not so pasty. I think the first time it was like eating peanut butter and stuck to his mouth too much. I have yet to try green beans again, on my list this week. But I will say he LOVES my homemade pears. Since the pears are fresh right now I grabbed a box from the farm and went to work. I now have a 3 month supply frozen in individual cube servings for him and still had pears left so we made some for his girlfriend Westyn. :o) Anyway, I love making his food and I rarely am giving him anything but homemade food these days. We are going to try tofu next. Overall, life is great. I am loving being a mom and find it harder and harder to be away from our little man. My mother-in-law watched him this past Friday so Chris and I could have a date night and it was probably one of the hardest times I have had letting him go. I am becoming more and more attached every day and I just love our special chats, sloppy kisses and all our play time activities. He is growing up so fast and I just don't want to miss anything. My love for this little boy is unbelievable and I simply don't know how to put it in words. He really is the light of my life. Here are some of my favorite pics over the past couple weeks:
Trying to crawl:Almost there...just need to stop and chew the side for a minute!Standing tall:

3 comments:

Tara Holmes said...

thanks for all your help this past week Misty. I wish I could join a mommy group down here, seems like a good resource, but I bet you have great information for them. I'll have to ask you about homemade food when it comes time, I don't get the cube part of it. Henry is so cute, love is spiky hair and how he looks like he's breaking out of his crib in that last picture.

Misty Carpinito said...

The cube is an actual ice cube tray. You can just use your ice cube trays you have already or they have these great rubber ones for baby food that release the food easily after frozen and have a lid. Basically all you do is make your pureed food, pour in the tray, let it freeze, pop them out and store in a zip lock bag. Super easy. Just have to use them up within 3 months. I am just going to make 1 month supplies at a time unless something is in season at the farm for free, like the pears. Happy to help you (and anyone else) as you get to the point of giving solids. Super fun to make the food and really does save a lot of money.

Jen said...

Sounds like you two are having lots of fun! I bet you will love your Mommy group, at first I thought it was kind of silly but it's been the best thing. Me and the Mums sometimes see each other three times a week now! Nice to have other friends who don't work and don't mind when all you do is talk about your baby ;). I'm so dreading the time when Calum doesn't nap as much, I know it's right around the corner! We seem to be having the same problem as you do with sleep lately, it's come out of nowhere and is really frustrating :(.