Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Flu Shot?

I thought I would reach out to all you mommies to get your input on the flu shot. I am torn on what to do for our little man. I only recently (the last two years) started getting flu shots, mainly due to pregnancy and I plan to get at least the seasonal flu shot for myself. Chris has never had a flu shot and does not want to start now. But, my main concern is Henry. Given I am a stay at home mom I have been leaning towards not getting the shot(s) for him, especially after reading all the ingredients in these shots (you would be very surprised!). However, we do participate in two group activities with lots of other babies each week. After hearing more and more cases of the swine flu (mainly in older kids) it has started to make me a bit uneasy. Even the small town in West Virginia where one of my uncles lives has had a death of a 14 year old boy due to the swine virus. So here I am reading, debating on what to do. There is the season flu shot and the H1N1 (swine). You can't get them at the same time which means two pokes. Also, I have heard that due to the urgency to get the H1N1 out the levels of mercury are not being as closely monitored as they are in the seasonal flu vaccine. Any advice/opinions is greatly appreciated as we decide what direction to head.

2 comments:

Blyth Family Blog said...

I totally know how you feel, I was concerned about the swine flu vaccine too because the news said they had high levels of thimerosal. But, you can get the vaccine thimerosal-free as long as you request it. My kids are lucky enough to have a wonderful doctor that gives me everything straight up...and he highly recomends getting both the H1N1 and the flu vaccines, especially if you plan on bringing your kid anywhere this season. Believe me, living in a place like Bend (with all the hippie folk) I hear alot about how bad these shots are from everyone...but I'm going to listen to the docs advice on this one...Ava and Miles will be getting their shots on Tuesday. Better off safe than sorry I say! xo!!

Misty Carpinito said...

We decided to go ahead with the seasonal flu shot for now. And, will be chatting with the doc later this month at his 9 month about the H1N1. So, Henry got round one of the flu shot today and I got mine. Now just have to convince dad to get one too! ;o) Being a mom presents hard decisions around every corner. It's so hard to know if you are doing the right thing. Trusting my gut on this one.