Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Our World...

Lately....
Oliver is officially walking.  Not a lot but when he feels like it.  We are hoping this will reduce the whining and give him some new found independence.  He is super proud of himself and even has perfected the clapping and walking routine.  Sooo funny.

Both boys attend a 3 hour drop off preschool one day a week.  Henry LOVES it.  Oliver has been called a...you guessed it...a whiner by his teacher.  Which is true.  So true in fact that it doesn't bother me that someone else called him that; it actually makes me feel sane and relieved that I'm not the only one that thinks so. 


Henry has started the "why" question in overdrive.  Literally about 500+ why's a day.  I've started to turn it around and say, "why do you think?"  That usually works a few times.  He even asked his Uncle Tommy, "why the letter i has a dot on it."  Uncle Tommy, like me all day long, was finding it hard to come up with an answer.  Love his curiosity of the world around him.

Oliver has 8 teeth and a couple killer eye teeth making there way as we speak.  I like to blame the teething on his biting issue.  Yep, he bites me all the time.  I could be washing dishes and he will sneak up behind me and bite the back of my legs.  Hurts like heck and I'm finding it hard to change this behavior in a 13 month old.  I really do think it's his teeth and he's looking for relief.  He doesn't bite other kids...yet.  However, he does slap.  He slaps his brother, his mother and his cousin Joey. Most of the time it's out of play fullness and he doesn't know his strength but when he's mad at me he flips a switch and he slaps me.  Not good.  I'm doing my best to address this but he is way too young for time outs.  So we do the whole "no" and "gentle" routine.  I'm a bit nervous about the road ahead with this strong willed little boy.

Henry loves playing hide and seek and as many have seen on my Facebook page picks some pretty awesome hiding spots...like under his brothers rug with his legs hanging out.  Almost peed my pants when I saw him do this for the first time.  He also is doing a lot of pretend play in the past month.  Chris and I both just love listening to him play with his cars and how each character has a role in his story.  He is one creative little boy.

Henry has no interest in potty training at home.  However, last week at preschool he asked to use the potty.  COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EARS when I picked him up to find this out.  So, I'm thinking we need to pick a weekend and go naked all weekend, him not me, and get this potty thing figured out. 

Oliver, yes he whines, bites, slaps but you know what he is also the most passionate little love bug ever.  He loves to kiss on his mama and I would take all those bites for just one of those amazing kisses.  His smile is incredible and just instantly warms my heart.  Could not imagine our lives without this vibrant little man.

Oliver can now say ball and is pointing at everything asking (or what we think is asking) what everything is.  We are labeling everything and it's so fun to see him take it all in.  He has found a new obsession...helicopters and airplanes.  He will stop instantly the moment he hears either of them and points to the sky wanting to go see.  Definitely another little plane/truck loving little boy I have.

Henry asks to listen/dance to Italian music every time we get into the car.  After a few minutes of listening he then asks, "mommy talk like him."  I keep trying to explain I can't speak Italian but he is insisting that I can.  So, what do I do...I attempt to repeat the "man" on the CD.  So glad my husband hasn't caught me doing this yet...pitful example of his Italian homeland.  Ha!

All and all life is good.  My boys are the light of my life.  I feel so lucky to call them my sons.  One lucky mama I am!

1 comment:

The Haigh's said...

Loved this post Mist. Even though I know everything that is going in your life it's fun to read it in the blog world