Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ups and Downs

Today we had some ups and downs. I'll start with the "ups". This morning I decided to have Henry spend some tummy time on his Tummy Time Surfboard Mat. He absolutely hates tummy time at this point and I thought the stimulation of the colors/toys on the board would help. Nope...still hated it! Anyway, the mat has a very small tube like pillow at the top where you can place their head and arms over to help give an infant some help raising their head. I placed Henry on the mat and of course he started fussing and moving his legs all over try to get them under him. After that didn't work he figured out how to roll over to his right side on his back! I couldn't believe it. A 6 week old rolling over...I thought wow let's try that again. Sure enough I put him back on the mat and this time he rolled over to his left side on to his back. He did have a little help with the pillow but the fact he knew how to get over to his back was amazing. I was so excited and assured him that he is very advanced for his age! ;o) As any proud mama would do I called the grandmas and dad to fill them in on our little excitement for the day.

Anyway, soon after tummy time it was time for the late morning feed. Early in the morning he had spit up a couple times. I didn't think too much of it as he does spit up from time to time. However, after the late morning feed it got a lot worse. After he had spit up quite a lot for the 4th time I called my mom to talk it through. She convinced me to just call the doctor. I guess I was hesitant as I feel like they would just think I was a first time mom freaking out over a little spit up. However, while I was on the phone with her he spit up 2 more times. At this point the decision was made and I left a message for his doc. By the time the doc called (which was in record time!) he had spit up a couple more times. This wasn't just a little spit up this was projectile out all over him and me several times. Sometimes it was curd like and others just liquid. Yesterday he also had a major blow out in his diaper. I just thought he was a bit constipated and it finally was released. Since breastfed babies have loose stools anyway its hard to tell what is diarrhea and what is normal. But with the spit up/vomiting and now looking back at that diaper I knew something was up. The doc asked me to bring Henry in for a check up and sure enough they think he has a stomach bug. His poor stomach is gurgling so bad. You can feel it move up his back and hear it churn. Poor little guy...breaks my heart he feels this way! There isn't a whole lot you can do but change the diet a bit and let it pass. He doesn't have a fever and as long as he still has wet diapers we know he is getting the fluids needed. Basically I just have to do smaller more frequent feeds for a few days and switch to a soy based formula when supplementing the breastmilk. I guess when babies get stomach bugs the milk based formulas do not sit well. We also have to give him some Pedialyte to help keep him hydrated. At first he did not like the taste...who would since it's like cough syrup! But he eventually took down 2.5 oz. This evening he seems to be getting a bit better as the spit up is very minimal and he has now been sleeping for 3 hours. Of course I haven't taken that time to rest as I am just staring at him ready to jump at the slightest sign of anything abnormal. He is just way too little to feel so sick. I really hate it and it just breaks my heart. I totally understand now what moms feel like when they watch their babies go through illness. Anyway, keep our little guy in your thoughts that he will get back to his old self here quickly!

On another note, while we were at the doc office they weighed him and he is now 10 lbs 13.5 oz...getting so big!

3 comments:

The Haigh's said...

Oh Mist - I'm sorry. I'll be thinking about the little guy all day.

Stacie said...

Poor Henry, I hope he's recovered and feels much better!

Keri said...

Poor little guy! Keep us posted on how he's doing this week.