Just about every night at some point in the night I am finding Henry fast asleep on his belly. Since I have always been told that babies should not sleep on their bellies until after a year old I am picking him up and flipping him over, which wakes him up. Not ideal for a mom that is still struggling to get some sleep. He is in such a deep sleep when he is on his belly that it kind of freaks me out. But, at almost 7 months is he ok to be on his belly? Or am I doing the right thing by flipping him over? It's just so hard for me to go back to sleep peacefully when I leave him on his belly and if I don't it's hard because I wake him up...feels like a lose lose situation. Advice anyone? Opinions? Anything is welcomed.
Also, on a personal note I welcome any advice you might have that will help me sleep more soundly. I literally will get in bed and be absolutely exhausted but lay there awake for almost 2 hours before I drift off to sleep. And, when I wake up in the middle of the night with Henry I do the same thing. This really isn't helping out on the limited hours I get anyway with a baby. I am thinking I could change some of my routine to help me drift off to sleep better. Maybe more exercise? Reading books? Teas? Meditation? I am really open to anything at this point except sleep meds as I feel like I need a clear mind for Henry and these meds usually knock me out.
Friday, August 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Oh Dr. Misty, I wish that I could give you advice but I'm not there yet. But at least you'll have that experience first.
Oh I totally went through that with Ava, it's so scary to think anything could go wrong...I actually called our nurse line and asked them...they said if they can flip themselves over in their sleep, it's fine, and not to turn them back over...as they are strong enough to move their heads around anyways. Hope that helps, but I know it is so scary with the first one!!! You'll get some sleep once he turns one!!
Hi... I am good friends with Stacie, Katie Fitz (Kalamakis), Lynne, etc. I have a 15 month old son. I blog stalk from time-to-time so hope you do not think I am crazy. I vowed to always be there for other moms so here is my advice which is similar to the last post. If they can flip themselves then you are good. It means they are strong enough to have body control, etc. Be excited that he can do this. It means sounder sleep for them which means more sleep for you. Worrying will not keep things from happening and from all my blog stocking it seems like your little guy is doing great and even a head of the game a little so I would not worry. As for settling yourself to sleep at night... I too had/still have that problem. Try a hot shower before bed. Seriously hot yoga is the ticket. Leaner body, clearer mind, better mom! Clear your head of worrying. No one prepares you for how much you worry and how much you think about your little one ALL day. I think that has been for me the most overwhelming part of being a new mom... they are always on your mind no matter what! I am away from family and stay at home with my son (full time mom, part-time photographer) so I know how long your days are. Hope I didn't creep you out by blog stocking but your little guy is so cute that I just can't help myself!
Thanks for the advice everyone! He is fast asleep right and on his belly. I am leaving him be for the time being...just need to soothe myself to sleep and not be a worry wort!
And, Alicia...totally not creepy at all. Thank you so much for reaching out. I actually think we have met somewhere along the way...maybe one of the girls weddings? Anyway, thanks so much. I absolutely agree the hardest thing for me has been the constant worry and lack of sleep. Staying at home is so wonderful and I feel so blessed to have this opportunity but you are right your days can be so long, especially with no sleep! Love my life, love my baby but soooo miss sleep...even just a 5 hour stretch would be great!
I believe we have meet which along the way as well. Like you said one of the many weddings! I too love being home and LOVE Cohen more than I ever imagined. Don't worry the sleep thing does get better. Cohen started sleeping through the night without even a late morning wake up around 10 months so you are just around the corner. I too worried a lot in the beginning and then realized that worrying wasn't getting me any where and that really the baby may sense the worry which could be part of the issue. Once I relaxed it seemed like everything feel into place. Good luck! You little one is soooo cute! Makes me want another :)
Hey Misty....it's Annie (Campbell) Graebner's sister :) I read your blog from time to time after reading Annie's...your little one is adorable! Anyway, I agree with the others who posted saying that once he can roll himself over, he's ok to sleep on his belly. The first night my 2nd child flipped over onto her stomach, she slept through the night from then on...a dream! As for sleeping yourself, I'm afraid you'll never sleep as well as you did before you had kids, BUT you will start sleeping more soundly and without as much worry once he starts sleeping through the night on a regular basis. Good luck to you!! Betsy Warme
I remember well how scary that was with my first. We actually used a sleep positioner with him for the first few months because I was so scared. And then the day came where he rolled out of that. That was a sleepless night. ;-)
This go round, I've relaxed a bit. My daughter learned to roll to her belly before her back, so when she'd flop over, she couldn't get back. BUT, I knew she was strong and really she was just fine. When she'd cry, I'd just flip her back over. Now she always sleeps on her belly.
Keeping safety in mind is important, but don't freak yourself out about it. Most babies will sleep on their bellies once they can flip over. If it makes you feel better, make sure there are no blankets or anything else in there, but even now, my little one sleeps with a blanket and her lovey. Cherish these "butt-butt" times and don't fret too much. He's a strong boy and will be just fine.
hey lady! LOVING all these photos, i don't think there is one photo of Henry when he is NOT smiling! what a beautiful and happy boy!!
anyway, i wanted to comment about the not being able to sleep part of this post -- because sometimes i, too find myself SO tired but unable to fall asleep due to anxiety or worry about work, life, etc. and i, too, hate sleep meds.
What really helped me was lavendar! there is something in it that, when smelled, produces a calming effect. Not sure how it works exactly, but i keep a sprig of it by my bed and also have some natural lavendar lotion i rub on my hands before bed time. it totally helps! you can also keep a bottle of essential oil by your bed to smell before sleep, too.
hope this helps, and hope you are able to get some shut eye! :) i realize this post is a few weeks old, so who knows, perhaps you've already found something that works!
xoxo
Post a Comment