Sunday, August 29, 2010

Baby Olie

This past Monday, August 23rd at 6:02pm, we welcomed baby Oliver "Olie" Christopher to our family. Weighing in at 9 lbs 4oz and 20 inches and a full head of jet black hair and blue eyes. He is an absolute dream baby. Seriously, the most mellow child, is immune to his big brother's 'loudness', is an awesome eater and sleeps most of the time (minus the numerous nighttime feeding session with mommy).

Delivery was super easy and the recovery period has been drastically different than the first time around. I actually had a mini date with my husband for a couple hours this afternoon to enjoy some beers and play a couple rounds of darts while my parents watched the kiddos. Little did the boys know that they would be at lunch with my parents sharing a hot dog while Dave Matthews was in the same restaurant. Gotta love Seattle! Last time at day 6 for our anniversary I could barely keep my eyes open and couldn't even enjoy a cocktail at dinner. So hard to explain the difference physical and mentally the second time around. As for the details, we were induced Monday, but when I checked in I was dilated to 5 and was already having consistent contractions about 10 - 15 min apart, so likely would have gone on my own soon anyway. At about 10:30am I was hooked up to some pitocin to move things along and at 1pm they broke my water. At this point I still had no pain. By 2:30 I was having contractions strong enough to stop me dead in my tracks and not be able to talk through them so I decided it was time for some happy drugs! I got the epidural at 2:45 and was dilated to about 7. By 5:47pm we were ready to push and after a long 15 minutes (heehee) we welcomed baby Olie to the world! I still cannot believe it was only 15 minutes of work to get this 9 lb 4oz/20 inch child into my arms! He and I were doing so well that we were able to leave the hospital and head home before the standard 24 hour stay. It was so nice to get home to my own bed and my other baby Henry!

As for Henry, well let's just say he has given us a run for our money this week. I thought the baby was going to be the hard part, boy was I wrong. It's not that he is jealous as he actually really loves his brother and is constantly trying to give kisses and 'help' out. He actually got Roseola while we were in the hospital delivering Olie and has not felt well all week, which in turn has created a very fussy and at times a defiant little boy. We have barely been able to get him to eat, he has been super addicted to my mom and really wanted little to do with Chris or I. He actually was asking his nauna to leave the house. Grabbing his shoes, her purse and saying "ready to go?" When she took him out for a drive when they pulled back in the driveway he said, "no, nauna's house." Before I knew it was because he was sick I thought we had traumatized him with the addition to the family and have been extremely emotional about the rejection I was feeling from my little man. While I hate that he is sick it did make me feel much better knowing it wasn't due to Olie and as soon as he was out of the woods things started turning around and mommy/daddy started to become his buddies again. Phew. When your first born asks to leave your house, won't come to his parents and has done a complete 180 in behavior, let's just say with the pregnancy/post partum hormone change it was more than mom could handle and saying a few tears have been shed is an understatement. However, he has recovered, Olie is unlikely to get it due to being breastfed and we are slowly getting his diet back on track. I am hopeful week 2 will be more of a 'normal' routine and far less tears being shed and more smiles are to be seen! ;o)

Anyway, enough of the details, how about some pictures of our past 6 days! Enjoy!

The new dualie....

7 comments:

Erin said...

Congratulations Misty, Carp and Henry! He's absolutely adorable. Love the name!

Loosy said...

A big CONGRATS! How exciting! You're a mother of TWO boys! And what a beautiful, healthy little boy Oliver is (LOOOOVE the name as well). Good job momma!

Tara Holmes said...

Many congrats on your family of boys! Love the new dualy and that it is easier the second time around.

Blyth Family Blog said...

He's beautiful! Isn't it crazy how much easier it is the second time around??? I'm so happy you guys are doing so well, and Oliver is healthy and happy. Have fun being a mommy of 2!!!!

DeLane, Kevin & Parker Lilly said...

Congrats Misty! He is BEAUTIFUL!

thuriks said...

Congrat's Carp fam....can't wait to meet the little guys.

baby g said...

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! Welcome to the world Olie! We can't wait to meet you : ) Misty, I can totally relate to the tears and emotions the first week because Andy didn't want anything to do with me - only daddy. Katie was great - but Andy was and still is the handful. I hope week #2 goes well and can't wait to go walking together in our double Bobs! XOXO