Tuesday, December 2, 2008

All About Labor

My morning started off with a message from Laurel that she was at the hospital in labor! Just a little after the lunch hour little baby Jett James Ortega entered the world. Congratulations Russ and Laurel! I can't wait to meet him and for our boys to grow up together. I love you both dearly!

We also wrapped up our 2nd birth class this evening. The full three hours were spent talking about labor and all the various stages, what to expect, tips, etc. There is so much information that it is a bit overwhelming. I can't imagine Chris or I remembering all this stuff. However, we are going to put together a birth plan and practice some techniques so when the time does come and we are a bit more distracted we at least have something to refer to.

Anyway, I just had to share the visual the teacher gave us tonight. I don't think I will ever look at a turtle neck sweater in the same way ever again! She was describing what it looks like at 10cm (fully dilated) and said the vaginal walls are wrapped around the head of the baby from basically ear to ear...kind of like trying to put on a turtle neck sweater. I about died. I never would have even put that visual in my head!

Looking forward to next Tuesday where we get to learn tips to a natural childbirth and tips for births with medication. I really want to try to go without meds but am keeping an open mind about it all as I have no clue what my pain tolerance is going to be. Until next time...

1 comment:

Joe and Ronda said...

Misty! I had ALL my children completely natural.Somehow when you are in labor ALL your natural instincts come alive. Whatever you choose you will forget everything when you hold that wonderful baby in your arms :)